Re: Next release of AlphaCore? JUST DO IT

Jay Estabrook wrote:

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 07:22:12PM +0300, Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
I actually decied to build "updated" kernel - applied all the patches and prepared SRPM. It is building right now...

The bad news is, that without the changes to the SMP config file (to
build in the upper layer(s) of the SCSI subsystem, to avoid some
module-related problems), your new SMP kernels prolly won't work any
better.

The good news is, that those are the ONLY changes that are really needed
to build a working SMP kernel.

So, for folks who want to roll their own, change the SMP config file to
use the following settings, rather than the module-producing ones:

CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SPI_ATTRS=y
I'll apply these changes, rebuild and upload updated kernel packages to "updates" directory of AC2.
That is really good news for SMP machines. :)

Note that the kernels appear to build successfully under both AC-1.0
(with gcc 3.4.3-20) and AC-2.0 (with gcc 4.0.1-4.fc4).

I have a couple of additional patches I'm working on:

1. add failing module name to the "percpu data" error messages,
2. fix unresolved references in several modules (noted during kernel
  installs, but the modules are NOT important on Alpha, AFAICT).

So, given a working SMP kernel, the (next) major problem right now
with AC-2.0 is the lack of working DRI (3D) support for ATI Radeons.

Nice work, Sergey and Cristian!!! :-) :-)
Thanks. :)

Regards,

--
Sergey Tikhonov
Solvo Ltd.

[Home]     [Fedora Users]     [Fedora Legacy List]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Red Hat 9 Bible]     [Fedora Bible]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]