Von: Alan Young <ayoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: Linux on Alpha processors <axp-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: Re: Next release of AlphaCore? JUST DO IT
Datum: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:31:57 -0700

Sergey Tikhonov wrote:
Simon Tierney wrote:

Hello,
I have DEC 7305 with SMP and RedHat7.2 on it and I have been waiting for an
Alphacore distribution with SMP working reliably.  I can test a new
installation ISO.   When Alphacore2 is ready please post a link.

Well, you should check AC1 then. Like I said in my e-mail - AC2 doesn't have working SMP kernel. :( As far I know - SMP kernel crashes on early boot stages, so remote debugging might be impossible (I am not an expert here). The kernel version in AC2 is 2.6.12-1.1447_FC4axp. If someone is running SMP kernel version higher than 2.6.11 please post here (the vanilla kernel seems to be broken
too).

You could download small iso image and check if it could be bootable on your machine:

ftp://ftp.rdsor.ro/pub/Linux/Distributions/AlphaLinux/core/2.0/test/ac2-qboot2.iso
This is boot iso without install packages, but goot enough to boot into "resque" mode.

Thank you,
Sergey.
tsv@xxxxxxxx

I generally have had better luck with the generic kernels vs. the RH
ones.  I have a SMP DP264 that was running on generic 2.6.12.2 and
I just moved it up to 2.6.15.4.  I'll download the test iso and give
it a boot to see what happens.

Alan

Thank you. Good to know. So, we have good chance to fix it. If it is known that some higher kernel versions
work - we could fix our kernel too.
We stick with this version only because other clustering modules require it (I have two Alphas and one AMD64
running in the same useless cluster :) ).

Regards,
Sergey.
tsv@xxxxxxxx

The test iso booted ok on my DP264.  It looks like it found all the
hardware and loaded drivers ok.  If you need more info, let me
know.  Maybe the problem only affects certain platforms and/or
hardware???  :-\

Alan

[Home]     [Fedora Users]     [Fedora Legacy List]     [Fedora Maintainers]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Red Hat 9 Bible]     [Fedora Bible]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]