Install on PC164, was: CentOS 4.2 for alpha

Installing CentOS 4.2 on a PC164 where SRM "show dev" sees
only dqa0 (hda) and the floppy:

I've copied the cdrom.img, generic.img,  ramdisk.img, and vmlinux.gz
files to the /boot partition of my RH7.2 system and I can
use SRM and aboot to run the new kernel and load the images,
but:

1.  After loading cdrom.img, my BusLogic BT958 is initialized but
then I see an "Illegal CCD #...." error reported on console 4
that continues to retry until I stop it.  This device works fine
using the 2.4 kernel in RH7.2.

2.  After loading generic.img, and ramdisk.img, the boot panics
with a request to set the "root=" option.   Of course when I set
"root=/dev/hda4" where my current system is rooted, the system
does not boot to an install, but rather to that file system.

When I try "root=ramdisk.img"  (I'm just guessing now about
what SRM and aboot flags may work.  I can't find a complete list
of flags.) the system again initializes the BusLogic BT958 and
goes into the infinite error loop.

Short of disconnecting my BT958, is there a flag to inhibit
the loading of the scsi driver,  or are there any other options
available to me?

Best wishes,
Bob