Re: Idea for changing RAID selection UI

I like the idea of having a drop down that lists the raid levels, and then having the features automatically checked depending on the raid level chosen.  The user can then click on all the raid levels to find the feature set they are looking for.

This is not directly related to the raid levels. The "customize" option on the "Manual partitioning" window is collapsed by default.  It would be nice if it was expanded by default.  If you are on the manual partitioning anyway, you're probably going to be messing with the devices and file systems already.  If it was expanded, it would make it easier to make changes.

It would be nice to get away from the smart phone type interfaces though.

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri 15 Feb 2013 02:14:42 PM EST, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> http://bcl.fedorapeople.org/images/RAID-doom_bcl.png
>
> Put the raid radio buttons into a group on the right. That removes the
> need to tell them what raid level they have selected and lets them use
> either one without having to click to the other 'view'.

So we just had an email back and forth with Doug Ledford about the RAID
UI and he has some really good suggestions to move away from having two
separate UIs (which we effectively have here via the radio button) and
having one that can accommodate both user types - which I think is more
ideal. So I think moving forward we're going to do another round of
mockups on this one based on Doug's recommendations (he's the subject
matter expert for RAID and works with upstream mdadm) and see how that
shakes out.

~m

Charles Amey
http://gitrdone.dyndns.org