Re: Crazy custom part UI idea

On Nov 27, 2012, at 12:58 PM, Brian C. Lane <bcl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The design is discoverable, but I think the problem is that after so
> many years of bottom-up construction they are confused by the new way of
> thinking about things.

I refuse the premise that it's oldui familiarity resulting in newui confusion. I'm new to both oldui and newui and find oldui immensely more discoverable and navigable than newui with respect to custom partitioning.

At least as big a problem for the present state of testing and opinions of newui is that that anaconda ui/ux itself hasn't been stable. There have been significant changes, not merely bug fixes, pre-alpha F18 to beta final.

> When you do complex operations do you just dive right in? Or do you try
> to learn how to use it first? It isn't always possible to make complex
> things intuitive.

I dive right in. I regress when I encounter a problem.

> I think that much of this could be fixed by
> documentation and glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a
> paragraph for each one.

Because you used the word glossy, I'm going to assume this whole paragraph is hyperbole. That this much effort would be necessary to describe UI function would by my definition make the UI a hostile user experience.

Chris Murphy