Re: LVM enabled by default in F18

On Thu, 2012-10-25 at 14:20 -0400, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> I would like to request that we keep LVM enabled by default for F18. In Fedora
> 19, we are going to move firmly onto the btrfs bandwagon with btrfs as default
> which will not require LVM.
>
> Changing the default in F18 for ext4 users just creates a one release pool of
> ext4 on raw partition systems right before we shift again to btrfs.
>
> Not to mention lack of Fedora specific documentation on how to admin these raw
> partitions, dependent projects like the update rollback based on LVM (or btrfs),
> etc.
>
> Sorry for not noticing this earlier in the release cycle!

I'd add to this that the only argument that was really made for changing
the default at all was not a very convincing one: it boils down to
'catering to idiots'. People like myself and spot who have a superficial
understanding of 'simple' ext4 partitioning, not much understanding of
'advanced' LVM partitioning, and want to feel like we know everything,
so instead of learning anything about LVM, we used to un-check the 'LVM'
checkbox on the Partitioning Bingo Screen in oldUI.

This was the only positive case for changing the default that ever seems
to have been advanced, and it's frankly not a very convincing one, I
don't think you build a great OS by catering to stick-in-the-mud idiots
like me. The other case for changing the default was essentially a
negative one - 'it doesn't provide any benefits for most people' - which
is a) arguably not true, if you look around there are good explanations
of various benefits LVM *does* provide in some situations, and b) not a
very strong argument for a change to a longstanding default anyway.

Idiots like me might think that LVM as default 'harms' us in some way,
but it really doesn't. Our systems work fine with an LVM layout we don't
fully understand, and all the documentation is out there for us to learn
about LVM (and its advantages) if we only bother.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey