Re: Key installer functionality for F18: rescue mode, text/serial console mode

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 11:01 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > on text install: apparently it's now the plan that a basic text mode
> > will be included in f18 and may even make Alpha. As long as that's a
> > commitment then that should work out fine and is no longer a worry.
>
> The alpha change deadline is August 14, so I can't really see that
> happening.  Even more critically, the string freeze deadline is the same
> day.
>
> I'm not willing to commit to that, no matter how hard Martin and Jesse
> work.  I just don't think there's enough time.  I suppose beta is
> possible given it being a month later, but then people are just going to
> complain about major things being done after the feature freeze.

To be clear, I'm mainly worried about it getting in for Final. I think
we can live without it showing up at Alpha.

> > on rescue mode: we would like to see a roughly functional equivalent
> > replacement for rescue mode present in f18, with considerable
> > flexibility as to the exact form.
>
> I don't think rescue mode is too difficult to do.  We've just not worked
> on it, barely talked about it, and not put anyone on the task.  It's not
> alpha criteria so I haven't been especially worried about it.

It's obviously most important to focus on stuff that's in the Alpha
criteria for Alpha. To be clear, this thread is about the whole cycle,
not just Alpha - obviously we'd like to have stuff in as early as
possible as we can get more testing done that way, but the _main_
concern is not to be lacking too many features at Final.

> > If anaconda team can commit to a rescue mode replacement for f18 final
> > at least, that'd be great. thanks. Also, if anyone's aware of any other
> > major functionality that might go away with newUI - besides what's
> > already been discussed or called out on the feature page - please let us
> > know. thanks!
>
> Advanced storage filtering's not going to be there for F18 either.

Yeah, I think that one was mentioned on the feature page, so it's been
implicitly accepted by FESCo already...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey