Re: Text based UI - framework core, example hub&spokes and input related questions

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 16:08 -0400, Martin Sivak wrote:

> I don't think it is possible to make the whole hub/spoke abstract and
> just switch the rendering library because the screen structure will
> very probably have to be different.
>
> I was thinking just about abstracting the logic pieces we have there -
> code to get/enable ntp, get current keyboard, check repositories.. and
> then using those pieces to create separate TUI specific hub & spoke
> code.
>
> Can you elaborate of your approach a bit more? So I can think about it
> too?
>
> Because from what I saw in the GUI code, we cannot use the Gtk main
> loop, screen management is different and the only common piece of API
> there is are the status and completed methods. The rest is already too
> GUI specific (glade stuff, widget and gtk data manipulation...).

The code I'm talking about re-using involves finding hub(s) to run, and
when a hub is picked, finding the spokes that should run with that hub,
using the same methods of getting choices out of the spoke and into the
ksdata, etc... Using the same hub/spoke like objects as in the GUI seems
to work, all that's really necessary is overloading some functions and
classes to replace gtk calls and glade file loading with something more
appropriate for text.

I have some code mostly working.  I've replaced the window.show_all()
function with something that just spits text onto the screen, and just
commented out a the Gtkmain() calls so there is no real user control
right now.  It just finds the spoke(s) and displays them, along with the
associated ksdata.  I'm nearly to the point where you can call
run-hub.py with a text hub and have it do something sensible there too.
I'll post code in a little bit, maybe next week and we can look at all
the overloads and code duplication to see if refactoring some of the
ui/gui/ stuff makes sense.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!