Re: Applications are blocking each other

On 17/03/12 23:53, Florian Lindner wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My system is a Linux 3.2.11 (Archlinux) / KDE 4.8.1.
>
> The system used to work perfectly. Today I have installed a new
> soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence STX) in addition to my onboard
> soundcard.
>[...]
> It seems that only one application can use the sound device. KDE
> phonon fails if vlc is active, same for flashplayer (which stays just
> silent)

I've hit this too.  It seems dmix is only used for the first card.  The
way I solved this is to compile a kernel with the driver for my PCI card
built-in, and the other drivers compiled as modules.  Then dmix is used
for my PCI card.

But if you don't need the other sound devices and have everything
compiled as modules, then you can simply blacklist those modules.