Bluetooth headset works, but ...

I am trying to get my Bluetooth headset (Motorola HK201) working with
ALSA, so that I can use it with Twinkle.  My system is a ThinkPad T510
running Fedora 14, including PulseAudio.  The ThinkPad has two built-in
audio devices:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
High Definition Audio (rev 06)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
Controller (rev a1)

I have paired my headset with the laptop, and it shows up in the KDE
Multimedia control as both an output device and a capture device.  I
have set the headset as the preferred output and capture device, and I
am able to play audio through the headset with aplay (aplay foo.wav).

If I try to record from the headset (arecord foo.wav), however, it
still uses the microphone built in to the laptop.  (Verified by walking
away from the laptop while recording my voice and listening to the
resulting WAV.)

I have verified that the microphone does work by disabling the modules
for the built-in audio devices and rebooting.  When I do this, arecord
uses the microphone in the headset.

/etc/modprobe.d/disable-t510-sound.conf:

  install snd_hda_codec_nvhdmi /bin/true
  install snd_hda_codec_conexant /bin/true
  install snd_hda_codec /bin/true
  install snd_hda_intel /bin/true

I have tried creating a .asoundrc, based on the various examples that
Google has turned up:

  pcm.btraw {
      type bluetooth
      device 00:24:1C:36:A3:6B
      profile "auto"
  }

  ctl.btraw {
      type bluetooth
  }

  pcm.btheadset {
      type plug
      slave {
          pcm btraw
      }
      hint {
          show on
          description "Motorola HK201"
      }
  }

  ctl.btheadset {
      type bluetooth
  }

Unfortunately, neither of the "virtual devices" is able to do anything:

  [ipilcher@localhost temp]$ aplay -D btraw *.wav
  Playing WAVE 'foo.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
  aplay: set_params:1053: Sample format non available
  Available formats:
  - S16_LE

  [ipilcher@localhost temp]$ aplay -D btheadset *.wav
  Playing WAVE 'foo.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
  ALSA lib audio/pcm_bluetooth.c:1613:(audioservice_expect) BT_OPEN
  failed : Invalid argument(22)
  aplay: set_params:1116: Unable to install hw params:
  ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
  FORMAT:  U8
  SUBFORMAT:  STD
  SAMPLE_BITS: 8
  FRAME_BITS: 8
  CHANNELS: 1
  RATE: 8000
  PERIOD_TIME: 125000
  PERIOD_SIZE: 1000
  PERIOD_BYTES: 1000
  PERIODS: 4
  BUFFER_TIME: 500000
  BUFFER_SIZE: 4000
  BUFFER_BYTES: 4000
  TICK_TIME: 0

I have searched in vain for any documentation that really explains how
ALSA and BlueZ (and PulseAudio) are supposed to work together.  I would
appreciate any suggestions about how I can make this work, or even how I
can debug the problem.

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                         arequipeno@xxxxxxxxx